A thermocouple is a vital piece of equipment for many industries to adequately measure and maintain temperature of objects in process, especially for processes that work at extreme temperatures. Its efficiency can make a huge difference between a successful operation and a costlier one. Here are some important tips to consider before installing thermocouple to make sure it keeps working at its peak performance.
- Location Is Key – The thermocouple should be placed in an area where it can accurately measure the temperature. If it is too close to a heat source, it will not be able to give accurate readings.
- Insertion Depth Must Be Adequate – Carefully select and ensure proper placement and the correct insertion depth to make sure the temperature it records represents the actual process temperature.
- Avoid Stem Loss – Make sure that the immersion depth of the thermocouple is at least 10 times the diameter of protection tubing to avoid stem loss.
- Make Sure It Is Level – A level thermocouple is essential for accurate readings. If it is not level, the readings will be inaccurate.
- Use The Correct Wiring – The thermocouple must be wired correctly in order to work properly. Using the wrong type of wire can cause problems.
- Inspect The Tip – The tip of the thermocouple should be clean and free of debris. Any dirt or debris on the tip can cause inaccurate readings.
- Check The Calibration – It is important to check the calibration of the thermocouple regularly. This will ensure that the readings are accurate.
- Check Proper Insulation – Always check for the thermal conductivity of the materials around the thermocouple in order to properly insulate it while installing the thermocouple.
- Keep It Protected – The thermocouple should be properly installed at a convenient location in order to keep it protected from physical damage and from extreme temperatures that are way beyond its actual calibration.
Important Tips For Installing Extension Wires Correctly!
- Make sure to use correct extension wires that are compatible with the thermocouple calibration.
- Use the correct color code to connect the negative wire to both the negative terminal at both the instrument and the head of thermocouple connection.
- Try not to run the thermocouple wires parallel to or in the same conduit and always try to keep it away from the power source at least 12”.
- Always use shielded conductors and twisted thermocouple extension wires with a drain wire in place in highly noisy conditions.
- Use appropriate insulation to meet the exact thermal conditions for best performance.
How To Go About General Maintenance of Thermocouple!
- Base metal thermocouples generally do require monthly maintenance, however, frequency of periodic checks can be increased based on individual situations.
- The rotary switches must be kept free of oxidation and cleaned regularly especially at the points of contact.
- While reinserting a thermocouple, make sure there are no changes in the depth of insertion or at least try not to decrease it which may result in errors.
- For a type K thermocouple to remain accurate, make sure to not expose it to temperatures beyond 16000 F when it is calibrated for temperature measurements up to 10000 F.
- Always ensure to discard or replace the thermocouple which has burned-out protective tubing.
Heatcon Sensors – A Go-To Place To Get All The Answers Related To All Types of Thermocouples!
Heatcon Sensors is a leading manufacturer and supplier of all types of thermocouples and related high-quality temperature sensing devices for various and sundry industry verticals. Their engineers have mastered the art of using the temperature sensing technology and devices to ensure highest performance output and complete temperature control even under extreme temperature conditions. If you have an industrial process or situation that needs opinion or direct intervention from experts, you can reach them without hesitation.