An RTD temperature sensor is a type of resistance based temperature sensor that uses a resistive element to accurately and precisely measure temperature in extremely high & low temperature applications. The resistive element, usually made of metal such as platinum, changes resistance in response to changes in temperature. This change in resistance is used to determine the temperature of the object or substance being measured. RTD temperature sensors are accurate and stable, making them ideal for use in critical industrial applications. RTD temperature sensors are also generally more rugged and durable than other types of temperature sensors. RTD temperature sensors are used in a wide variety of applications, including industrial and commercial process control, HVAC, and medical industry.
Types of RTD Temperature Sensors & Their Main Advantages?
There are two main types of RTD temperature sensor elements: thin-film and wirewound. Both have their own advantages based on your specific application requirements as below:
- Thin-film RTD sensor elements are made using the most advanced technology called photolithography by depositing a thin layer of conductive material onto a substrate. These elements are typically smaller and more accurate than wirewound elements, but they are also more fragile and expensive. The advantages of thin-film sensor elements include:
- They are more accurate and small in size and quick response time.
- They have lower thermal mass.
- They are less susceptible to vibration and shocks.
- They are more stable over time.
- They are ideal for critical applications.
- Wirewound RTD sensor elements are made by winding a thin wire around a substrate, typically glass or ceramic. These elements are typically less accurate than thin-film elements, but they are also more rugged and less expensive. The advantages of wirewound sensor elements include:
- They are ideal to operate in a wider temperature range with great accuracy and precision.
- They are known for their integrity and stability and are immune to the effects of vibration and shock, making them ideal for applications where these factors are present.
- They offer excellent precision and accuracy, making them perfect for applications requiring precise temperature measurements.
- They are highly repeatable, meaning you can rely on them to provide consistent results time after time.
- They offer long-term stability, meaning they will maintain their accuracy and repeatability even after years of continuous use.
- They are easy to install and use making them a great choice for applications where ease of use is a priority.
Contact Heatcon Sensors’ Expert Team To Decide Which Type Of RTD Temperature Sensor Element Is Most Appropriate for Your Industrial Process?
Depending upon the application type, industry, and size, if accuracy is your top priority, then a thin-film RTD sensor element is the way to go. If ruggedness and affordability are more important to you, then a wire wound RTD sensor element is the better choice. If you still remain confused about your selection, don’t hesitate to consult with experts at Heatcon Sensors who are industry leaders in manufacturing all types of digital temperature sensors and temperature sensing devices which can also be customized as per your specific industry needs.